"The seed of its growth was planted, Time watched what the years would bring, It wore 150 winters out, And now it greets another Spring."

(Adapted from the Centenary Celebration, 1954)

The Sisters Of Saint Joseph Celebrate
more than 150 Years of Service in McSherrystown, PA

1850 - 1900 1900-1950 1950 - 2000 2000 - Present

The Sisters of Saint Joseph, their lay partners and associates celebrate more than 150 years of faithful and creative service in McSherrystown, PA. Here the SSJ spirit, "ready for any good work," has been expressed through the sisters' response to a variety of critical needs throughout the last century and a half.

1854 Sisters of Saint Joseph arrive in McSherrystown on May 2, 1854 to establish their Motherhouse, Novitiate and Saint Joseph Academy
1856 At the request of Bishop John Neunann the Sisters established an orphanage
1858 Motherhouse and Novitiate transferred to Chestnut Hill, Philadelphia
1868 Mother Magdalen Weber (Weaver), born near Littlestown, became Superior General of the Sisters of Saint Joseph of McSherrystown
1880 New Academy constructed
1882 Sisters Aquinas opened a school for blind children
1887 Boys were admitted to SJA
  New Chapel constructed
 
Back to Top
1900 Academy closed for repairs
1901 Orphanage discontinued
1902 Vincent O'Bold gave the Sisters a 166 acre farm
1908 The convent was razed and the Academy was rolled back 100 feet from the street to its present location
1919 Saint Joseph Academy received Affiliation with The Catholic University of America
1928 Auditorium/Gymansium built. Play, Musicals and the school newspaper introduced. The Percolator begun.
 
Back to Top
1951 Extensive renovations were made possible through the support of the Alumnae Association
1954 Centenary Celebrated 1854-1954
1958 Fire towers built through the generosity of Mr. and Mrs. Lawrence B. Sheppard
1969 Swimming Pool completed
  Priest's Cottage built
1973 Neumann Hall Dormitory dedicated
1974 O'Bold Farm sold
1978 Saint Joseph Academy High Shool closed
1979 Saint Joseph Academy Elementary School closed
  Nursery and Kindergarten opened
  Use of Auditorium and Dining Room by McSherrystown Senior Center for activities and noon meal provided by the Sisters
1982 Academy Village apartments dedicated: four apartments in Neumann Hall; one in the former priest's cottage
1984 Pre-School for 3 and 4 year olds replaced the Nursery and Kindergarten
1988 McSherrystown Inter-Faith Village broke ground for 47 apartments for elderly and handicapped persons
1992 Three acres sold to Hanover General Hospital for Family Medical Center
1997 New site of Saint Joseph Academy Pre-School blessed
  Ground broken for Saint Joseph Village: 40 apartments for Seniors
1999 Dedication of Saint Joseph Village
 
Back to Top
2000 Saint Joseph Academy CARES After-School Progam initiated
2004 Sesquicentennial Celebrations May 4 and September 19
2006 Ground broken for Cecilian Village
2007 Dedication of Cecilian Village
2017 CARES Program closes
Back to Top